Ooh hey, yeah
Hush, just stop
There’s nothing you can do or say, baby
I’ve had enough
I’m not your property as from today, baby
You might think that I won't make it on my own
But now I’m…
[Chorus:]Stronger than yesterday
Now it’s nothing but my way
My loneliness ain’t killing me no more
I’m stronger
That I ever thought that I could be, baby
I used to go with the flow
Didn’t really care ‘bout me
You might think that I can’t take it, but you’re wrong
‘Cause now I’m…
[CHORUS:]
Stronger than yesterday
Now it’s nothing but my way
My loneliness ain’t killing me no more
I’m stronger
Come on, now
Oh, yeah
Here I go, on my own
I don’t need nobody, better off aloneHere I go, on my own now
I don’t need nobody, not anybody
Here I go, alright, here I go
[Repeat CHORUS]
Stronger than yesterday
Now it’s nothing but my way
My loneliness ain’t killing me no more
I’m stronger
While reading A Doll's House, the lyrics from Britney Spears' "Stronger" came into my head. I thought of the song when Nora was leaving Torvald. The whole time I was reading this play, I thought that Torvald was either going to divorce her, or he would forgive her and she would just be overcome with joy. I never thought that she would have to strength to leave him, especially because she spent the whole play terrified of him finding out her secret.
When Torvald found out that his wife went behind his back to borrow money, he was furious. That is until he found out that Krogstad was not going to blackmail them and nobody would ever find out what Nora did. When Torvald realized that his wife's transgression would go unreported to the public, he found it easy to forgive Nora. However, Nora was done with Torvald. Nora decided to do something that women of the time did not do.
She decided to leave Torvald even though he was willing to take her back. Nora showed strength when she walked out on Torvald, because she was walking out on a husband of many years, her children, and her easy way of life. When she left, she did it to find her true self. But, a women supporting herself back then was not easy because the lack of high paying jobs.
Even though the odds of leading a successful life without a husband were against her, Nora still went out on her own. It took tremendous strength to take that risk, especially when she was leaving behind such an easy way of life. But just like in the song, she was leaving because she would not be his property (his doll) anymore.
No comments:
Post a Comment